Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The manual crank Scotch Mount

a month ago I decided that i really needed something to track the earth's axis. In order to break out of my confines of only shooting 2 second exposures to negate star trails I decided to go an inexpensive route. That was the way of a simple one arm Scotch Mount, aka Barn Door Tracker.

My result was this contraption. A simple turn of the wheel at the specified times moves the top board at the right speed to match our planets rotation. Allowing me to shoot exposures of 5minutes at a time ( I can shoot  longer but I havent tried a sub longer than that so far).



My first resulting image of Orion and a huge leap forward for me. With the Constellation I captured my first evidence of the Rosette Nebula. Aswell as the dust lanes within our very own milkyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment